The roof to your house is an important component of your house. It holds your house together and protects debris/or leaks from getting inside your house. With that being said, you want to make your roof last for a long time. Want to know how to do that? Take a look at the five tips that we will be talking about in this article on how to make your roof last longer. We will also give you three companies that work with roofing, more specifically in the Northern Virginia area.
5 Tips To Make Your Roof Last Longer:
There are so many tips on the web that you can find about how to make your roof last longer. We will narrow these down with the top five important tips to make your roof last longer.
- Keep An Active Maintenance For Your Roof: Keeping active maintenance for your roof is an essential part to keep your roof clean and to make it last longer. You do not have to clean your roof every day: roofs need to be cleaned at least twice a year. Check your roof at the beginning of fall to the beginning of spring. By doing this step, you will prevent damage from moisture that can destroy your roof. Three chores are required for your roof: sweeping, cleaning buildup from gutters, and washing off moss growth.
- Take Notice of Any Problems: If your roof has cracks, debris, algae, wet spots, or any other problems that can obstruct your roof, it is best to notice these problems. If possible, check your roof on a daily basis to see if there are any problems that you can spot. If you see a problem, then it is time to look for a professional!
- Cleaning Gutters and Checking Ventilation: Checking the ventilation is an important thing to do as poorly placed exhaust fan or attic soffits cause condensation which can affect the plywood. The best option for someone checking your ventilation is a contractor: they can tell you what is wrong and suggest the right fixes to prevent the plywood from rotting. As for cleaning gutters, it is important to do this because it prevents leaks.
- Properly Insulating Cathedral Ceilings: Installing cathedral ceilings on your roof reduces ice dams which will cause leaks. To properly install one, you want to get a professional to help you. Improper placement of a cathedral ceiling can trap moisture which will destroy your roof’s decking.
- Making a Tough Roof: If you are already getting a roof replacement or building a roof for your house, you want to build one that can withstand hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms, especially when you live in an area that has severe weather. To make a roof strong, you need to remember three things: use installer seal decking with strong tape, use ring-shank nails as these nails resist wind, and to lock the roof tight, use metal flashing for each of the roof’s edges.
If you follow these five tips, then it is ensured that your roof will last a lifetime!
Roofing Services in Northern Virginia:
Need to find a professional for your roofing project but do not know where to look for one? We got your covered; here are three of the best companies that work with roofing projects that are in Northern Virginia:
- Nova Exteriors “Avoid The Stress of Home Improvement Chaos”: Nova Exteriors work with home improvement projects from windows to doors, but they also work with roofs. Their roofing services in Northern Virginia provides four qualities for their customers: improving safety, reducing the cost of heating and cooling, increasing the value of houses, and getting a 10-year warranty for a new roof.
- American Custom Contractors “Protect Your Home With A New Roof’; Opened in 1972, this company focuses on roofing and repairs. They provide services in Northern Virginia which include the Fairfax, Loudoun, and Stafford counties. They give services of home improvement projects like building a new roof to building a sunroom. They are one of the most trusted companies in all Northern Virginia, which is why it is good to check them out.
- Pond Roofing “The Premier Exterior Remodeling Company Serving Fairfax and All of Northern Virginia”: Like American Custom Contractors, this company supports all areas of Northern Virginia. They help customers with roofing, siding, windows, gutters, and doors and they give customers trusted warranties. Check out their website for more information if you are interested in this company.